Saturday, July 18, 2009

7/17-18/9 A post on FB

I made the following post on Facebook:

To my friends with health concerns of any kind, do what you can to educate yourselves to the best of your ability. You are your very best advocate. Do not take "no" from your docs. Look for good sites that answer questions specific to your health issues. Once I get a chance, I'll post some of those that have helped me a lot. Take a peek at newsletters too. Both Mayo Clinic and John Hopkins offer newsletters on a variety of health issues. They also have free online options. For neurologic/brain issues, there's NeurologyNow.com (also a free print magazine you can sign up for), healthcentral.com (variety of health concerns), basically if you can spell it, you can find it. If you can't find it, perhaps you can start it. It only takes one person to get the ball rolling. Some may think us a bit obsessive, yeah, sure, but by advocating for ourselves we are in a better place than accepting the same old same old. Last November, it was possible I wasn't going to go back to work again. Here I am! And ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING! "A new addition, not on facebook..." I picked up a recent copy of Healthmonitor with Montel on the cover and the title of his article is "I Choose Happiness." It's encouragement like this that helps us all strive toward some level of recovery no matter what health issue we may be facing. No matter how dire the circumstances, maintaining a positive attitude can get us through anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment