Saturday, September 18, 2010

Preparing for Vipassana Retreat

It's now only 5 days before I leave for the research study with Johns Hopkins. In many ways I am really excited, but since yesterday started feeling a wee bit anxious. Probably the most difficult is making sure I've done enough cleaning, got keys made, made preparations for the critters. I haven't left for more than a week in so long it's kinda scary.
So, what have I done toward preparation?

1)Let's see, I've been fairly religious with completing and returning my daily headache diary. This started back in June. I haven't missed any days, just have been a little late. Things I've learned with this diary include the frequency really is greater than originally thought. It seems that I may go 1-2 days per week without any head pain.

2) I have been trying to acclimate myself to "Indian" foods, though it looks like I haven't been too greatly successful. What I have had is a little more spicy than what may be served.

3) I was hoping to give up coffee, but alas, this has not happened. I checked into Starbucks decaf only to find that they do not use natural decaffeination. Only their Somalia coffee is done naturally.

4) Getting enough snuggles in with the critters... but are any really enough?

5) Practicing some of the techniques. Much easier said than done. Vipassana is all about mindfulness and intention. Mindful eating will take a lot of practice, there is so much that is done unconsiously. I've also been attempting to keep non-essential talking down. It's not so bad, but because now is voluntary it is not such a difficult task.

6) Turning non-essential noises off. This mostly means sleeping without the tube on. Much harder than it seems. I could get used to it though.

7) Reducing my sleep meds, especially when I'm not working. I've reduced it to a 1/2 tab whenever possible.

8) Getting my Band loosened. I'm not concerned about "getting enough," but am concerned about food getting stuck. I know I have difficulty eating raw foods and some types just don't go down well.

9) Making sure I have all my meds in place and packed. I wasn't going to carry them in a carry-on, but in case things get should get lost, it would be best to have them with me.

10) Maybe I'm over-concerned about what to wear, but the rules say no tight clothing so I've picked up mostly sleepwear that is quite loose and comfy.

11) I'm trying to go in without specific expectation. I know I will not "cure" my migraines, but if I can learn some new techniques to handle the pain or even reduce the pain it will all be worth it.
12) Some overall things have happened, while not in the next few days, I have become somewhat calmer and have been able to hold my tongue a whole lot easier. It does take some discipline to control it, but it has been working.

Hopefully the nerves won't get the best of me. The biggest stressors include cleaning, packing & just plain old getting everything done in time. I will miss the critters and hope I have placed them in good hands while I'm off.


No comments:

Post a Comment