Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's been a while, so time to get back to posting

I am once again in status migrainus. This has been pretty consistent since late May. I had been doing fairly well where I didn't require much treatment other than pain meds, but in May some things changed. I remember going into the OR when I had the port to my Lap-Band replaced. It had been going on a few days, but up until a couple of weesks ago, it really didn't stop. I went to see Dr. Chapman and asked him about magnesium infusions... he's not familiar with them and doesn't understand why an oral supplement isn't good enough. After 30 years, he also questioned whether or not I was actually having migraines. I got really ticked, so when I got home, I got my hands on Dr. Purath's number, called and set up a consultation. The unfortunate thing, wasn't until 2 monhs away, now it is this coming Friday. I talked to Dr. Sweeney and he does magnesium infusion and actually has them done in his office. My migraine was so bad on July 1 that I left work early... later going in for an infusion. Unfortunately for some reason I got really dehydrated and he had trouble finding a vein. We got the magnesium in, but did not get any saline or vitamin C. The migraine was abated briefly, though not completely. I experienced far fewer side effects than when infused with steroids.

With my port replacement I have gone from 202-176. Another theory of Dr. Sweeney's is that perhaps my estrogen levels have gone wonky because of it being stored in the fat cells. My levels are 300% of my progesterone. He has placed me on prometrium as Dr Chapman has also increased my Topamax. One or the other or both have helped to the point that for about two weeks I was nearly completely migraine free. It was only last Sunday that I started getting twinges again, then they have hit!...

So, it is now 1 week to my consultation with Dr. Purath... I've actually heard mixed results, while she is an awesome doc, it's very difficult to get in when you really need to. I will reserve judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment